THE ABR® DESIGNATION: FOR REAL ESTATE BUYER AGENTS
The Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®) stands for the benchmark of excellence in buyer representation. It is designed for real estate buyer agents who focus on working directly with buyer-clients. What’s their key to success? They know that you can't count on the market—you have to count on your skills. ABR® education provides the expertise you need for an edge in serving today’s home buyers. When you decide to earn your ABR®, you gain:
- Valuable real estate education that elevates your skills and knowledge in the eyes of home buyers.
- Ongoing specialized information, programs and updates that help you stay on top of the issues and trends in successfully representing home buyers.
- Access to REBAC members-only marketing tools and resources, publications, a referral network and more, which provide an additional competitive edge.
Hone your skills in representing the needs of home buyers in real estate transactions and earn the coveted Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®) designation. In addition to providing comprehensive training in buyer representation, REBAC helps its members maintain their superior skills and develop their business opportunities through continuing real estate education, updates on issues and trends, marketing tools, membership events, consumer awareness campaigns and more. The ABR® designation is both a market distinction and a valuable tool for building a buyer representative business. Agents who earn the ABR® designation benefit from improved buyer loyalty, extensive resources, tools and education unmatched in the industry.
HOW TO EARN THE ABR® DESIGNATION+
To obtain and use the ABR® designation, you must complete all four (4) requirements:
- Successful completion of the two-day Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation Course, including an 80 percent passing grade on the exam. After you complete this course you will have three (3) years in which to complete the other ABR® designation requirements. Within one week of OAR’s two-day designation course, you will receive notification of your test scores and certificates of completion and CE or you can take it online via the Center for REALTOR® Development.
- Successful completion of one of the ABR® elective courses, including an 80 percent passing grade on the exam. This course may be taken prior to completing the Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®) Designation Course.
- Documentation verifying five (5) completed transactions in which you acted solely as a buyer's representative (no dual agency). Any transactions closed prior to taking the Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation Course or closed within three years after completing the Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation Course are eligible for credit. Documentation necessary for each of your five (5) completed transactions:
- Copy of the signed buyer agency agreement OR purchase/sale agreement OR disclosure statement. The contract must verify the agent's name and/or include the agent's signature as the buyer's agent. Providing only the name and/or signature of the buyer’s agent’s broker is not sufficient.
- Copy of the closing/settlement statement or letter from your broker verifying that each transaction closed.
- Maintain active and good membership status in the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council (REBAC) and the National Association of REALTORS®. Exception: International members of REBAC do not have to be members of NAR.
Important Notes: All requirements must be completed within three years of passing the Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation Course. Only REALTORS® who meet all these requirements and have been officially awarded the ABR® designation are permitted to call themselves an ABR® and use the ABR® logo.
The path towards becoming an ABR® begins by taking the Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation Course. After you complete this course, you will automatically become a member of REBAC for one year—free! You’ll then be able to access many of our member benefits and work towards completing your remaining ABR® designation requirements. Your second year and thereafter will require an annual REBAC renewal fee of $110 and an active membership with NAR to maintain and use the designation. For more information, see the frequently asked questions. You can also contact REBAC by e-mail or call 1-800-648-6224.
ABR® Designee Benefits+
Are you interested? +
Check out the OAR Calendar to see when we will be offering the ABR next!