Disputes: Buyers & Sellers

Please refer to your Sale Agreement terms on how to proceed with dispute resolution between parties of a transaction.


You may wish to discuss your situation with an attorney. An attorney can give you advice and counsel, and help you resolve the matter without having to proceed to mediation or arbitration.

The OREGON STATE BAR can refer you to an attorney  who specializes in real estate matters. Their referral service is available Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00PM, at 800-452-7636.

Oregon Small Claims Court

The real estate sale agreement published by Oregon Real Estate Forms, LLC, provides that in the event of a dispute, all claims within the $10,000 jurisdictional limit of the OREGON SMALL CLAIMS COURT shall be brought and decided there, in lieu of mediation, arbitration, or litigation in any court of law.


Mediation is a process which people in dispute (over $10,000) can use to reach an agreement. With the help of an impartial mediator they work toward a mutually acceptable solution. If you have talked with your REALTOR® and the managing principal broker, and have made every effort to resolve your dispute, you can submit a request for mediation.

Mediation services for a dispute between parties may be available from your REALTORS® local association. Visit our LOCAL ASSOCIATIONS/ BOARDS page to find a local association/board in your area, or call the Professional Standards Administrator at 503-362-3645 for assistance. If the local association/board of REALTORS® does not offer mediation services for parties to a transaction the Arbitration Services of Portland will facilitate the service.


If mediation is not successful, clients of REALTORS® may decide to arbitrate disputes arising out of a real estate transaction. The dispute will be decided outside of the courts, by the arbitrator, who renders a written decision An arbitration award is legally binding on both sides and enforceable in court. See BENEFITS OF PRIVATE ARBITRATION for more information.